photo homesmallernavbar_zps375ac672.jpg photo aboutsmallernavbar_zps76adcaf3.jpg photo tutorialssmallernavbar_zps642eca44.jpg photo shopsmallernavbar_zpsd76cc660.jpg

Friday, 30 April 2010

Such excitement

The last couple of days have been ever so exciting. First of all Beth nominated me for my first ever award - for a beautiful blog. Yay - lots of times! I'm so chuffed to get this from Beth. Her work is stunning and her very kind words and comments, and her blog, were what inspired me to give blogging a go. I'd been mulling it over for ages but she has to take the blame for me getting started and for all these ramblings that give me so much pleasure! Thankyou so much Beth.

And just to really make things special Lisa has listed my poppy lavender bag in her Folksy Friday post. Her blog looks like fun and I'll be back to check it out properly later on.

To accept my award, I have to tell you 7 random things about myself. Now, are you ready and braced for 7 highly exciting 'things' about me and my riveting life?! Well, you're not getting a choice, so here they are::

1. John and I met in Peru when we were both on the same trekking holiday. But, and much more corny, he was the tour leader. Oops. Actually, in my defence, I had nothing to do with him on the holiday. I was highly suspicious of the motives of a tour leader. However, when I got back to my middle-of-nowhere cottage in Aberdeenshire I decided I really liked him rather a lot and sent him a letter. He did the same and the letters crossed in the post. How sweet. I went back out to Peru on holiday a year later (having seen him for a grand total of 2 1/2 weeks in the UK during that time) and we got engaged.




2. My family were brilliant about my, what must have seemed very rash, decision and didn't question it at all. But the one person who I knew really understood, and wasn't just being supportive, was my Grannie. She joined up with the RAF, as a nursing sister, during WWII. On the ship out to Burma she met my grandad, a captain in the gunners, who was on the way out to India. They were engaged by the end of the 2-week voyage and were married in Calcutta during the war. Sadly my grandad died quite young and she has had a long time on her own. She's now 90 and struggling with dementia, but thankfully, very contented. She's a special person.


K'aldy Grannie

3. When my youngest brother was born my dad phoned from the hospital and said he had red hair. I burst into tears, another brother was a bit of a blow at the time (sorry Don I love you lots), but the idea of red hair was really awful. Actually dad was wrong and he's mousy blond. But rather ironically John is a red-head and so is my no. 2 Angus!



Edited to add: This is me and John (not my brother Don) - sorry to be confusing

4. I'm horribly allergic to mussels.

5. If you ever need some sheep midwifery I'm your person. I'm great at getting out stuck lambs, pretty efficient at milking ewes for their colostrum, and can stomach-tube said colostrum into a weak lambs tummy. From the age of about 10 I had pretty much sole charge of any 'orphaned' (usually actually triplets who couldn't be paired off with another ewe) lambs and mum and dad paid me £5 for every one that made it to market. That was big money for me. I loved it and would have done it anyway but I really appreciated the reward.


Learning about bird watching with dad

6. I rarely wear anything other than trousers, mostly jeans, but after a discussion at the school gates this afternoon I'm going to try to make 2010 the summer of skirts.


Hanging out with mum

7. There are lots of places around the world, and in the UK, that I'd love to visit. But top of my list is the Galapagos Islands in Ecuador. We were booked to go, for our honeymoon, a year after we got married. But little Finn came along as a surprise and we had to cancel. One day.

Hope these were mildly interesting. I need to pass this on to 2 other people which I'm finding a little difficult. I'm not that good at picking 'favourites'. I get a lot of pleasure from lots of people's blogs but have decided to go for: Jenny at sew obsessed as she hasn't been blogging for all that long either and Abby at Mutterings from the Moor because she, like Beth, has been very kind and helpful and her blog is always a fun place to visit.

Byeeeee for now.

18 comments:

andamento said...

Congratulations on your award and for taking the time to write 7 very interesting things! I loved the story about how you and your husband met, very romantic!

Simone said...

A wonderful post Julie and I think you are very interesting!!! Your Grannie is a striking lady as are you and your Mum! I love the photos of you bird watching with your Dad and with your Mum in a hammock! x

Julie said...

Anne - thankyou! Juliex

Julie said...

Simone - I still love birdwatching with dad if we ever get a chance. Juliex

sew obsessed said...

Thank you so much for thinking of me, big smiles all round!
Your random 7 are brilliant. A real insight into your life. And the photos are great, I especially like the one with your mum.
A hard act to follow!

Justine said...

Julie, great facts! You're a very fine family I must say - your brother is very dishy (tee hee hee don't tell Mr. G I said that!!) I'm now going to hop over to your nominees respective blogs. Justinexx

Julie said...

Jenny - Thanks - love that pic too. Juliex

Julie said...

Justine - I think you must be looking at the pic of me dancing - and that's with John. I think he is quite dishy! Both my brothers are pretty fine looking too - maybe they'll feature some day soon! Juliex

Jen Walshaw said...

I love your choice of boys Names, we have a Finlay and a Robert, oh nad I would have had an Angus or Alistair if MadDad hadnt Veto'd them

Julie said...

MummyMad - it sounds like our taste in boys names is very similar. i really like Robert and Alistair (alth' I'd probably spell it Alasdair!). Juliex

Anonymous said...

I love the photos from your wedding, so romantic! This post was a big bundle of family and love - just wonderful.

Julie said...

Gracie - thankyou! Juliex

periwinkle said...

congrats on your award and wow, awesome stories - so romantic . My bro has ginger hair and he now lives in Strathaven , Was the new bunbun accepted?

Julie said...

Periwinkle - the new bunbun was well received thankfully. He was sniffed a few times - think the clean smell was a bit hard to get used to! Juliex

Anonymous said...

Hi Julie,

Lovely post, great to get to know you better, I laughed a lot at the sheep story as (think I may have mentioned it on my blog) but I'm a sheep farmers daughter (family still there on the farm) and I HATE feeding lambs as it was also out job as children, only minus the money..that's where my Dad when wrong!!

Bethx (thanks for such kind words at the beginning and love your wedding photos)

Julie said...

Beth - Now you have made me laugh! I knew you were a farmer's daughter but didn't realise it was a sheep farm - but we weren't proper commercial scale which probably makes a big difference (and the £5!) and my brothers were never into it like me. To them most things sheep were to be avoided as much as possible. Presumably your brother doesn't hate feeding lambs?! Juliex

Amanda said...

Hi Julie, found you via Simone's bloglist and am very glad I did too. Your blog is lovely and your pieces at Folksy are gorgeous and I may have to buy something when we finally get moved to our new home!

Julie said...

Hi Amanda - really good to meet you! I'll pop over and check out your blog later this afternoon...hopefully Islay will co-operate and sleep today! Juliex