Wednesday, 13 October 2010

Crickey, finished on time

Well, perhaps it's only really me that will be shocked but what happened on Sunday is quite rare. I finished a project on time and actually with half a month to spare. I'm such a last minute person when it comes to deadlines. Give me a deadline and you can guarantee I'll leave whatever needs doing until the last minute. I'll produce it on time but not before. If I don't have a deadline I often just start straight away and get it done. Why do I react to deadlines in this way? I have no idea. If anyone understands my strange mind I'd be delighted if you could enlighten me....it might be useful!



Anyhow, back to what I really wanted to tell you. Cat is this month's Fresh and Funky Bee person. She tasked us with making a tree block using an outline of our hand as the tree trunk. After that we had pretty much free reign except we must also use owls and polka dots somewhere too. Cat sent us fabric to fit a specific month and I had spring to work with.



I loved doing this. For me it was much less scary than a more normal geometric block where precision is all important. I had an idea of what I wanted to produce straight away. And, for once, it turned out pretty much as I had hoped. I machine appliqued everything but used some different stitches. Since it was a spring tree I went for a fairly light leaf effect with flowers on the tree. I added a small slim tree which, in my mind, is a cherry in full bloom. There's a couple of little flowering shrubs and I added a fluttering butterfly. The owls take pride of place in a knot on the tree and on top of a stump (I did stitch the top of the stump and the knot on the trunk but it doesn't really show in the photos....if you are really interested you can just about see it if you click on the photos, but I'm not actually sure it's worth it).



So, there you go. Now that I've finished showing off my unexpected achievement I think I'll just go and have a nice cup of tea and try and calm down.

Hoping your week is going well and you have some kind of unexpected achievement too!

12 comments:

bearpaw said...

This is so lovely! I love the fabrics and the way you have done the machine applique, and the owls are so cute! Cat will love it.

Maria said...

It looks great Julie, love the little owls and butterfly x

Julie Rutter said...

Jo and Maria - thanks! Juliex

andamento said...

It's beautiful. I especially like the owls and the toadstool.

Julie Rutter said...

Anne - I was tempted to add a gnome, to go with the toadstool, but then I decided that might be a bit over the top! Juliex

Cat B said...

A gnome would have been/would be awesome too - I have a wee 'thing' for gnomes and fae folk :)
I LOVE this Julie it is amazing - I received the first block back yesterday from Karen and I LOVE it :) can't wait to see these all together and have one awesome wall hanging to remind me of all you lovely woman the world over :)
Cat

Julie Rutter said...

Oh Cat, I'm so sorry it's in the post so I can't add a gnome now.......next time! I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone elses and the finished wall hanging. Juliex

sew obsessed said...

It's gorgeous and so much more exciting than a normal block. I can't wait to see the finished quilt.
Jenny x

TheMadHouse said...

Wow, this is amazing, you are one talented lady

Julie Rutter said...

Mrs Mad - thankyou! Juliex

thelinencat said...

Oh my! I absolutely LOVE this, the colours the idea and all the details. Now that's the kind of quilting I could manage, it's truly lovely.

(can you tell I like it a bit?)

Bethx

Julie Rutter said...

Beth - Thankyou!! Juliex